Web Development with Julia and Genie
- Paperback: 254 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (November 29, 2022)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 180181113X
- ISBN-13: 978-1801811132
Web Development with Julia and Genie: Get a practical overview of web development in Julia and learn how to build MVC applications with a REST API, and an interactive data dashboard using the Genie web framework
Julia’s high-performance and scalability characteristics and its extensive number of packages for visualizing data make it an excellent fit for developing web apps, web services, and web dashboards. The two parts of this book provide complete coverage to build your skills in web development.
First, you’ll refresh your knowledge of the main concepts in Julia that will further be used in web development. Then, you’ll use Julia’s standard web packages and examine how the building blocks of the web such as TCP-IP, web sockets, HTTP protocol, and so on are implemented in Julia’s standard library. Each topic is discussed and developed into code that you can apply in new projects, from static websites to dashboards. You’ll also understand how to choose the right Julia framework for a project. The second part of the book talks about the Genie framework. You’ll learn how to build a traditional to do app following the MVC design pattern. Next, you’ll add a REST API to this project, including testing and documentation. Later, you’ll explore the various ways of deploying an app in production, including authentication functionality. Finally, you’ll work on an interactive data dashboard, making various chart types and filters.
- Understand how to make a web server with HTTP.jl and work with JSON data over the web
- Discover how to build a static website with the Franklin framework
- Explore Julia web development frameworks and work with them
- Uncover the Julia infrastructure for development, testing, package management, and deployment
- Develop an MVC web app with the Genie framework
- Understand how to add a REST API to a web app
- Create an interactive data dashboard with charts and filters
- Test, document, and deploy maintainable web applications using Julia
By the end of this Web Development with Julia and Genie book, you’ll be able to build interactive web solutions on a large scale with a Julia-based web framework.