Software Test Design
- Paperback: 426 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (December 2, 2022)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1804612561
- ISBN-13: 978-1804612569
Software Test Design: A guide to writing comprehensive test plans covering exploratory testing and feature specification; black and white box testing; security, usability, and maintainability; and load and stress testing
Software Test Design details best practices for testing software applications and writing comprehensive test plans. Written by an expert with over twenty years of experience in the high-tech industry, this guide will provide you with training and practical examples to improve your testing skills.
Thorough testing requires a thorough understanding of the functionality under test, informed by exploratory testing and described by a detailed functional specification. This book is divided into three sections, the first of which will describe how best to complete those tasks to start testing from a solid foundation.
Armed with the feature specification, functional testing verifies the visible behavior of features by identifying equivalence partitions, boundary values, and other key test conditions. This section explores techniques such as black- and white-box testing, trying error cases, finding security weaknesses, improving the user experience, and how to maintain your product in the long term.
The final section describes how best to test the limits of your application. How does it behave under failure conditions and can it recover? What is the maximum load it can sustain? And how does it respond when overloaded?
- Understand how to investigate new features using exploratory testing
- Discover how to write clear, detailed feature specifications
- Explore systematic test techniques such as equivalence partitioning
- Understand the strengths and weaknesses of black- and white-box testing
- Recognize the importance of security, usability, and maintainability testing
- Verify application resilience by running destructive tests
- Run load and stress tests to measure system performance
By the end of this Software Test Design book, you will know how to write detailed test plans to improve the quality of your software applications.