Pro DAX and Data Modeling in Power BI
- Paperback: 488 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (November 26, 2022)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1484289943
- ISBN-13: 978-1484289945
Pro DAX and Data Modeling in Power BI: Creating the Perfect Semantic Layer to Drive Your Dashboard Analytics
Develop powerful data models that bind data from disparate sources into a coherent whole. Then extend your data models using DAX – the query language that underpins Power BI – to create reusable measures to deliver finely-crafted custom calculations in your dashboards.
This book starts off teaching you how to define and enhance the core structures of your data model to make it a true semantic layer that transforms complex data into familiar business terms. You’ll learn how to create calculated columns to solve basic analytical challenges. Then you’ll move up to mastering DAX measures to finely slice and dice your data.
- Create clear and efficient data models that support in-depth analytics
- Define core attributes such as data types and standardized formatting consistently throughout a data model
- Define cross-filtering settings to enhance the data model
- Make use of DAX to create calculated columns and custom tables
- Extend your data model with custom calculations and reusable measures using DAX
- Perform time-based analysis using a Date dimension and Time Intelligence functions
The Pro DAX and Data Modeling in Power BI book also shows how to handle temporal analysis in Power BI using a Date dimension. You will see how DAX Time Intelligence functions can simplify your analysis of data over time. Finally, the book shows how to extend DAX to filter and calculate datasets and develop DAX table functions and variables to handle complex queries.