Write Great Code, Volume 1, 2nd Edition
- Paperback: 472 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook; 2nd edition (July 31, 2020)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 171850036X
- ISBN-13: 978-1718500365
Write Great Code, Volume 1: Understanding the Machine, 2nd Edition: Machine Architecture for Mere Mortals
This, the first volume in Randall Hyde’s Write Great Code series, dives into machine organization without the extra overhead of learning assembly language programming. Written for high-level language programmers, Write Great Code, Volume 1: Understanding the Machine, 2nd Edition fills in the low-level details of machine organization that are often left out of computer science and engineering courses.
- How the machine represents numbers, strings, and high-level data structures, so you’ll know the inherent cost of using them
- How to organize your data, so the machine can access it efficiently
- How the CPU operates, so you can write code that works the way the machine does
- How I/O devices operate, so you can maximize your application’s performance when accessing those devices
- How to best use the memory hierarchy to produce the fastest possible programs
Great code is efficient code. But before you can write truly efficient code, you must understand how computer systems execute programs and how abstractions in programming languages map to the machine’s low-level hardware. After all, compilers don’t write the best machine code; programmers do. This Write Great Code, Volume 1, 2nd Edition book gives you the foundation upon which all great software is built.