Think Like a CTO
- Paperback: 320 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (April 11, 2023)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1617298859
- ISBN-13: 978-1617298851
Think Like a CTO: An effective Chief Technology Officer shapes almost every aspect of a modern business. This book shares the experience and advice of veteran CTOs and industry experts for handling IT crises, leading tech teams, and creating an inspiring vision for your company.
Becoming a CTO is an incredible accomplishment. It’s also one of the hardest transitions a technologist can make. This high-power and high-pressure role demands skills that are rarely developed as a software engineer. Think Like a CTO shines a light on all the areas an aspiring CTO needs to master to succeed. You’ll learn how to build incredible working relationships with the rest of the C-suite, transform a company with private equity, and recruit and manage your development team. With this book as your guide, you’ll quickly become a trusted leader figure with an inspiring vision for your company.
The Chief Technology Officer balances business needs with the constantly evolving world of technology. Think Like a CTO helps you develop the skills and mindset you need to take on this critical role and emerge as a successful leader. Packed with insights from industry experts and veteran CTOs, this book shares practical strategies for navigating the high-stakes world of technology leadership.
In Think Like a CTO you will learn:
- Effective interaction and relationship-building with other C-level executives
- Creating long term visions and executing on short term goals
- Interviewing, hiring, and terminating team members
- Negotiating salaries and managing promotions
- Architecting future-proofed systems
- Handling security breaches and ransomware attacks
- Putting together budgets and working with your CFO
- Identifying and managing outsourced vendor opportunities
- Managing and communicating bad news by leading with data, not passion
- Being the kind of leader that employees want to follow and emulate
Think Like a CTO shares hard-won lessons on how to thrive in the fast-paced role of Chief Technology Officer. Inside, you’ll learn to establish successful technology platforms and teams, with practical frameworks for software selection and implementation, bias-free interviews and performance reviews, and earning your place at the table with other senior leaders. You’ll appreciate the no-nonsense advice, insights, and war stories from CTO mentor Alan Williamson.