The SQL Server DBA’s Guide to Docker Containers
- Paperback: 372 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook; 1st edition (May 30, 2020)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1484258258
- ISBN-13: 978-1484258255
The SQL Server DBA’s Guide to Docker Containers: Agile Deployment without Infrastructure Lock-in
Get introduced to the world of Docker containers from a SQL Server DBA’s perspective. This book explains container technology and how it can improve the deployment of your SQL Server databases without infrastructure lock-in. You will be equipped with the right technical skills to guide stakeholders in your business as they adopt and adapt to new technologies to improve time-to-market and competitiveness. You will learn how to build a lab environment at home on which to build skills that transfer directly into your day job.
What You Will Learn
- Create Docker containers for agile deployment of SQL Server
- Run multiple SQL Server instances on a single Linux machine
- Deploy custom images specific to your organization’s needs
- Know the benefits and architecture of container technology
- Install and configure Docker on Windows Server and Linux
- Manage and persist SQL Server data in Docker containers
This book teaches you how to install and configure Docker on both Windows Server and Linux operating systems. You will learn the most common Docker commands that you need to know as a DBA to deploy and manage SQL Server on containers. Support for SQL Server on Linux is new, and this book has your back with guidance on creating Docker images specifically for deployment to a Linux platform. Included is coverage of key Linux commands needed to manage SQL Server on that operating system. By the end of the The SQL Server DBA’s Guide to Docker Containers book you will have learned how to create your own custom SQL Server container images with configuration settings that are specific to your organization, that are capable of being deployed to both Windows Server and Linux.