Practical Internet Server Configuration
- Paperback: 411 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (April 25, 2021)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1484269594
- ISBN-13: 978-1484269596
Practical Internet Server Configuration: Learn to Build a Fully Functional and Well-Secured Enterprise Class Internet Server
Learn the skills to complete the full installation, configuration, and maintenance of an enterprise class internet server, no matter what Unix-like operating system you prefer. This Practical Internet Server Configuration book will rapidly guide you towards real system administration, with clear explanations along the way.
After a chapter explaining the most important Unix basics, you will start with a vanilla server as delivered by a hosting provider and by the end of the book, you will have a fully functional and well-secured enterprise class internet server. You will also be equipped with the expertise needed to keep your server secured and up to date. All configuration examples are given for FreeBSD, Debian and CentOS, so you are free to choose your operating system.
What You’ll Learn
- Configure DNS using Bind 9
- Set up Apache and Nginx
- Customize a mail server: IMAP (Dovecot) and SMTP (Postfix), spam filtering included
- Authenticate mail users using LDAP
- Install and maintain MariaDB and PostgreSQL databases
- Prepare SSL/TLS certificates for the encryption of web, mail and LDAP traffic
- Synchronize files, calendars and address books between devices
- Build a firewall: PF for FreeBSD and nftables for Linux
No single blueprint exists for an internet server, and an important part of the work of a system administrator consists of analyzing, interpreting and implementing specific wishes, demands and restrictions from different departments and viewpoints within an organization. Practical Internet Server Configuration provides the information you need to succeed as a sysadmin.