PostgreSQL 11 Server Side Programming Quick Start Guide
- Paperback: 260 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (November 29, 2018)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1789342228
- ISBN-13: 978-1789342222
PostgreSQL 11 Server Side Programming Quick Start Guide: Extend PostgreSQL using PostgreSQL server programming to create, test, debug, and optimize a range of user-defined functions in your favorite programming language
PostgreSQL is a rock-solid, scalable, and safe enterprise-level relational database. With a broad range of features and stability, it is ever increasing in popularity. This book shows you how to take advantage of PostgreSQL 11 features for server-side programming. Server-side programming enables strong data encapsulation and coherence.
The PostgreSQL 11 Server Side Programming Quick Start Guide book begins with the importance of server-side programming and explains the risks of leaving all the checks outside the database. To build your capabilities further, you will learn how to write stored procedures, both functions and the new PostgreSQL 11 procedures, and create triggers to perform encapsulation and maintain data consistency.
- Explore data encapsulation
- Write stored procedures in different languages
- Interact with transactions from within a function
- Get to grips with triggers and rules
- Create and manage custom data types
- Create extensions to package code and data
- Implement background workers and Inter-Process Communication (IPC)
- How to deal with foreign languages, in particular Java and Perl
You will also learn how to produce extensions, the easiest way to package your programs for easy and solid deployment on different PostgreSQL installations.