Polished Ruby Programming
- Paperback: 434 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (July 16, 2021)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1801072728
- ISBN-13: 978-1801072724
Polished Ruby Programming: Become an accomplished Ruby programmer by understanding the design principles, best practices, and trade-offs involved in implementation approaches to keep your Ruby 3.0 applications maintainable in the long term
Most successful Ruby applications become difficult to maintain over time as the codebase grows in size. Polished Ruby Programming provides you with recommendations and advice for designing Ruby programs that are easy to maintain in the long term.
This book takes you through implementation approaches for many common programming situations, the trade-offs inherent in each approach, and why you may choose to use different approaches in different situations. You’ll start by learning fundamental Ruby programming principles, such as correctly using core classes, class and method design, variable usage, error handling, and code formatting. Moving on, you’ll learn higher-level programming principles, such as library design, use of metaprogramming and domain-specific languages, and refactoring. Finally, you’ll learn principles specific to web application development, such as how to choose a database and web framework, and how to use advanced security features.
By the end of this Polished Ruby Programming book, you’ll have gained the skills you need to design robust, high-performance, scalable, and maintainable Ruby applications.
- Use Ruby’s core classes and design custom classes effectively
- Explore the principles behind variable usage and method argument choice
- Implement advanced error handling approaches such as exponential backoff
- Design extensible libraries and plugin systems in Ruby
- Use metaprogramming and DSLs to avoid code redundancy
- Implement different approaches to testing and understand their trade-offs
- Discover design patterns, refactoring, and optimization with Ruby
- Explore database design principles and advanced web app security
While most code examples and principles discussed in the book apply to all Ruby versions, some examples and principles are specific to Ruby 3.0, the latest release at the time of publication.
[ Exclusive Offer! Order Everyday Goggles Protective Eyewear Now. Get Lowest Price & 60 Day Return Policy. Huge Discounts Available! Bravo Goods Special Offer Expires Soon. ]