- Paperback: 451 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (August 16, 2022)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1617298573
- ISBN-13: 978-1617298578
Data-Oriented Programming: Reduce software complexity by rethinking data: Eliminate the unavoidable complexity of object-oriented designs. The innovative data-oriented programming paradigm makes your systems less complex by making it simpler to access and manipulate data.
Code that combines behavior and data, as is common in object-oriented designs, can introduce almost unmanageable complexity for state management. The Data-oriented programming (DOP) paradigm simplifies state management by holding application data in immutable generic data structures and then performing calculations using non-mutating general-purpose functions. Your applications are free of state-related bugs and your code is easier to understand and maintain.
In Data-Oriented Programming you will learn how to:
- Separate code from data
- Represent data with generic data structures
- Manipulate data with general-purpose functions
- Manage state without mutating data
- Control concurrency in highly scalable systems
- Write data-oriented unit tests
- Specify the shape of your data
- Benefit from polymorphism without objects
- Debug programs without a debugger
Data-Oriented Programming teaches you to design software using the groundbreaking data-oriented paradigm. You’ll put DOP into action to design data models for business entities and implement a library management system that manages state without data mutation. The numerous diagrams, intuitive mind maps, and a unique conversational approach all help you get your head around these exciting new ideas. Every chapter has a lightbulb moment that will change the way you think about programming.