Beginning e-Textile Development
- Paperback: 248 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (November 3, 2020)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1484262603
- ISBN-13: 978-1484262603
Beginning e-Textile Development: Prototyping e-Textiles with Wearic Smart Textiles Kit and the BBC micro:bit
Electronic textiles (e-textiles) involves the combination of electronics and textiles to form “smart” textile products. It is an emerging technology with immense opportunities in the field of wearables fashion technology. And while there are many e-textile development platforms available on the market, this book uses the Wearic smart textile kit, a modular prototyping platform, to get you building projects and experiments easily and quickly.
This book presents the essential skills required to get started developing e-textiles. The code presented is built using MakeCode blocks, an easy-to-use visual programming language. You’ll use the BBC micro:bit microcontroller for all the projects, and with few exceptions, they require no soldering and wiring. In the end, you’ll be able to apply and sew electronics to wearables, garments, and fabrics in this emerging technology.
What You’ll Learn
- Program with the BBC micro:bit
- Add lights to your wearables using LED textiles
- Use different textile sensors to measure heat, detect water, actuate attachments, and enable sense touch and pressure
- Actuate attachments on wearables with muscle activity and heartbeat
- Make chemistry-based color-changing fabrics using thermochromic pigments
- Utilize Bluetooth Low Energy to send sensor data to mobile apps and WiFi to send sensor data to the ThingSpeak IoT analytics platform service
Beginning e-Textile Development presents the essential components to get you started with developing e-textiles.