Apache Solr 3.1 Cookbook
- Paperback: 300 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (July 22, 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849512183
- ISBN-13: 978-1849512183
Over 100 recipes to discover new ways to work with Apache’s Enterprise Search Server
- Improve the way in which you work with Apache Solr to make your search engine quicker and more effective
- Deal with performance, setup, and configuration problems in no time
- Discover little-known Solr functionalities and create your own modules to customize Solr to your company’s needs
- Part of Packt’s Cookbook series; each chapter covers a different aspect of working with Solr
Apache Solr is a fast, scalable, modern, open source, and easy-to-use search engine. It allows you to develop a professional search engine for your ecommerce site, web application, or back office software. Setting up Solr is easy, but configuring it to get the most out of your site is the difficult bit.
The Solr 3.1 Cookbook will make your everyday work easier by using real-life examples that show you how to deal with the most common problems that can arise while using the Apache Solr search engine. Why waste your time searching the Internet for solutions when you can have all the answers in one place?
This cookbook will show you how to get the most out of your search engine. Each chapter covers a different aspect of working with Solr from analyzing your text data through querying, performance improvement, and developing your own modules. The practical recipes will help you to quickly solve common problems with data analysis, show you how to use faceting to collect data and to speed up the performance of Solr. You will learn about functionalities that most newbies are unaware of, such as sorting results by a function value, highlighting matched words, and computing statistics to make your work with Solr easy and stress free.
This practical guide shows you how to get the most out of Apache Solr 3.1 with recipes that show you how to improve your search engine’s performance, analyze data quickly and efficiently, and customize the search server with your own modules.
What you will learn from this book :
- Index data in different formats and forms
- Use the Solr administration panel to discover the most commonly searched for information
- Learn how to use different data grouping techniques
- Improve your Solr deployment performance
- Create and use your own Apache Solr modules
- Configure your cache to cater for changes in your data
- Import data using the Data Import Handler and delta query
- Query Solr to search for phrases, sort results by different fields, and search geographical points
- Create new applications that use Solr
- Reduce the size of your index for faster searching
This book is part of Packt’s Cookbook series; each chapter looks at a different aspect of working with Apache Solr. The recipes deal with common problems of working with Solr by using easy-to-understand, real-life examples. The book is not in any way a complete Apache Solr reference and you should see it as a helping hand when things get rough on your journey with Apache Solr.
Who this book is written for
Developers who are working with Apache Solr and would like to know how to combat common problems will find this book of great use. Knowledge of Apache Lucene would be a bonus but is not required.
[download id=”246″ format=”1″]