The Essential Guide to Creating Multiplayer Games with Godot 4.0
- Paperback: 326 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (December 22, 2023)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1803232617
- ISBN-13: 978-1803232614
The Essential Guide to Creating Multiplayer Games with Godot 4.0: Harness the power of Godot Engine’s GDScript network API to connect players in multiplayer games and level up your Godot 4 networking skills with this comprehensive guide featuring dedicated servers and persistent worlds, illustrated with key images in color
The Essential Guide to Creating Multiplayer Games with Godot 4.0 guides you in exploring the built-in network API for online multiplayer games, offering practical knowledge through concrete use cases.
Throughout the book, you’ll assume the role of a network engineer in a fictional indie game studio, tackling real-world requests from your peers and gaining expertise in adding new network features to the studio’s games. Following step-by-step instructions, you’ll go from making your first network handshake to optimizing online gameplay. You’ll learn how to sync players and pass data over the internet as you add online multiplayer features to a top-down shooter adventure game.
This book puts you in a fictional game project team where you set up your first online server before advancing to creating an online chat system and transitioning local gameplay to go online. With a focus on implementing multiplayer features, you’ll create shared world adventures and learn optimization techniques to allow more players to join your virtual world.
- Understand the fundamentals of networking and remote data exchange between computers
- Use the Godot game engine’s built-in API to set up a network for players
- Master remote procedure calls and learn how to make function calls on objects remotely
- Enhance your GDScript proficiency to get the most out of this powerful language
- Explore industry-standard solutions for common online multiplayer challenges
- Improve your networking skills and discover how to turn single-player games into multiplayer experiences
By the end of this The Essential Guide to Creating Multiplayer Games with Godot 4.0 book, you’ll have learned how to set up a client-server network, implement remote procedure calls (RPCs), sync node properties remotely, and optimize your games to create smooth online multiplayer experiences.