Professional Plone 4 Development
- Paperback: 516 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (August 26, 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849514429
- ISBN-13: 978-1849514422
Build robust, content-centric web applications with Plone 4
- The very first book on the newly released Plone version 4.
- Learn how – and when – the professionals use Plone
- Master the latest Plone technologies
- Put theory into practice with a realistic case study built from chapter to chapter.
- Written by Martin Aspeli, one of the Plone project’s most prolific core developers and responsible for several R&D efforts relating to Plone 4.0; and with a Foreword by Eric Steele, the Plone Release Manager.
Plone is a web content management system that features among the top 2% of open source projects and is used by more than 300 solution providers in 57 countries. Its powerful workflow system, outstanding security track record, friendly user interface, elegant development model and vibrant community makes Plone a popular choice for building content-centric applications. By customising and extending the base platform, integrators can build unique solutions tailored to specific projects quickly and easily.
If you want to create your own web applications and advanced websites using Plone 4, Professional Plone 4 Development is the book you need.
The first edition of this book remains one of the most widely read and recommended Plone books. This second edition is completely revised and up-to-date for Plone 4.1, covering new topics such as Dexterity, Diazo, jQuery and z3c.form, as well as improved ways of working with existing technologies such as Buildout, SQLAlchemy and the Pluggable Authentication Service. It retains the writing style and comprehensive approach that made the first edition so popular.
Built around a realistic case study, Professional Plone 4 Development will take you from an understanding of Plone’s central concepts, through basic customization, theming, and custom development, to deployment and optimization.
The book is divided into four sections:
- First, you will be introduced to Plone and the case study, and learn how to set up a development environment.
- The second section covers basic customization, including theming a Plone site using Diazo.
- The third section focuses on custom development – building new content types and user interfaces, customizing security and integrating with external databases.
- The final chapters cover deployment and performance optimization.
What you will learn from this book :
- Setting up a productive development environment
- Basics of Plone customisation and extension
- Theming a Plone site using Diazo and plone.app.theming
- Core concepts that underpin the workings of Zope and Plone
- Creating custom content types using Dexterity
- Building views and forms, including the use of z3c.form
- Integrating with relational databases using SQLAlchemy
- Customising the management of users and groups with PAS
- Creating rich user interfaces with jQuery and jQuery Tools
- Deploying and optimizing a production-ready Plone server
- Integrating with LDAP and Active Directory
Professional Plone 4 Development is written in a clear conversational easy-to-understand style. This book cuts short the preamble and gets straight to the point – building robust, content-rich web applications with Plone 4. Detailed real world examples are provided for each chapter.
Who this book is written for
This book assumes that the reader is familiar with Plone from the point of view of an administrator or power user, has a basic understanding of web application development, and is comfortable with the Python programming language.
[download id=”323″ format=”1″]