Murach’s Java SE 6
- Paperback: 832 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook & Associates Inc; 1st edition (April 20, 2007)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 9781890774424
- ISBN-13: 978-1890774424
Murach’s Java SE 6
This book teaches how to develop Java applications at the professional level. It starts by showing how to code, test, and debug everyday business applications that won t crash. It presents object-oriented features like classes, inheritance, interfaces, and polymorphism in a way that s both understandable and useful in the real world…perspective that s often missing in Java training. It presents essential Java skills such as working with data types, control statements, arrays, collections, generics, enumerations, exceptions, threads, Swing components, applets, and text and binary files. It covers new Java SE 6 features such as new JDBC features, the StAX XML API, and the built-in Derby database. And it s all done in the distinctive Murach style that has been training professional programmers for more than 30 years.
Developers often tell me they wish they’d found our Java book first, before spending time and money on others. Here are 4 of the reasons why I believe this book will work equally well for you:
#1: The first six chapters get you off to a fast start
By the time you complete these chapters, you’ll be writing bulletproof, object-oriented applications with business classes and objects. These chapters work well for the complete beginner. But they also get the experienced developer up-to-speed fast.
#2: The class summaries help you master the Java API and save you hours of research
Although most books present dozens of coding examples that illustrate the use of some Java classes, they don’t try to summarize all of the classes, constructors, and methods that you’ll use the most. Our book does both. For instance, to learn how to use the LinkedList class, you’ll first see a summary of its primary constructors and methods. Then, you’ll see coding examples that show you how you can apply those constructors and methods. This can save you hundreds of hours of research over the course of the book.
#3: Chapters 7 and 8 show you how to use inheritance, interfaces, and polymorphism in a way that is both practical and understandable
You won’t find any toy applications or cat and dog objects in these chapters. Instead, you’ll study practical examples that show you how to use inheritance, polymorphism, interfaces, type-safe enumerations, and the factory pattern in business applications. This at last takes the mystery out of object-oriented programming. And we just haven’t seen this done right in any other book.
#4: The paired-pages format lets you set your own pace
Murach books have a distinctive format, where each two-page spread presents a single topic. Both beginning and experienced developers find that this format makes it easy to focus on the information they need, whether they’re using the book for training or reference. To see how this works, you can download sample chapters for free from the Murach web site.
That’s what one developer wrote us about the JDK 5 edition of our core Java book. Now, you can expect that same practical, time-saving approach in the current edition that covers the latest version of Java, Java SE 6.
What you’ll learn from the SE 6 edition
- You’ll learn how to install and configure Java and how to write complete applications in the first two chapters.
- By the time you finish chapter 5, you’ll know how to use Java classes, objects, and methods to write bulletproof applications that use custom methods to validate user input. That gets you off to a fast start in Java whether you’re a beginner or have years of programming experience.
- Section 2, on object-oriented programming, cuts through the mystery of inheritance, polymorphism, interfaces, packages, type-safe enumerations, and the factory pattern so you can learn how to create and use sophisticated business and data access classes…the basis for object-oriented design and programming. At that point, you’ll know how to develop real-world, object-oriented, business applications.
- In section 3, you’ll learn more of the core Java features that you’ll use all the time, like how to work with arrays, collections, dates, strings, exceptions, threads, for loops, typed collections, generics, autoboxing, assertions, and the StringBuilder class. Because each chapter in this section is independent of the others, you can add these skills to your repertoire whenever you need them.
- In section 4, you’ll learn how to use Swing components to develop GUI applications that handle events, validate data, and populate objects. That means you’ll be developing applications that aren’t just useful, but user-friendly as well.
- To complete your OOP training, section 5 shows you how to write data access classes that store the data for objects in a file or database. Here, you’ll learn how to work with text files and binary files, including random-access files; how to work with XML documents and files; and how to use JDBC to work with databases, including embedded databases using the Derby database that comes with Java SE 6.
3 reasons why you’ll learn faster and better with our book
Like all our books, this one has features that you won’t find in competing books, even though they accelerate and improve training. Here are just three of those features.
- This book presents complete, business-level applications, like the one in chapter 17: a Product Maintenance application with a graphical user interface that uses presentation classes, business classes, and database classes. Applications like this are the missing ingredient in most Java books, but it’s impossible to master Java development without them.
- All of the information is presented in our paired-pages format, with the essential syntax, guidelines, and examples on the right page and the perspective and extra explanation on the left. This makes the book faster to use both for training and for reference later on. (If you haven’t used one of our books before, download a free chapter to see for yourself how well our paired pages work.)
- The chapter exercises give you a chance to try out what you’ve just learned and to gain valuable, hands-on experience in Java programming. And because you can download the starting code and data, you don’t have to start each exercise from scratch. That gives you the maximum amount of practice in a minimum of time.
[download id=”41″ format=”1″]