Learning PostgreSQL 11 – Third Edition
- Paperback: 556 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (January 31, 2019)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1789535468
- ISBN-13: 978-1789535464
Learning PostgreSQL 11, 3rd Edition: Leverage the power of PostgreSQL 11 to build powerful database and data warehousing applications
PostgreSQL is one of the most popular open source database management systems in the world, and it supports advanced features included in SQL standards. This book will familiarize you with the latest features in PostgreSQL 11, and get you up and running with building efficient PostgreSQL database solutions from scratch.
Learning PostgreSQL 11, Third Edition begins by covering the concepts of relational databases and their core principles. You’ll explore the Data Definition Language (DDL) and commonly used DDL commands supported by ANSI SQL. You’ll also learn how to create tables, define integrity constraints, build indexes, and set up views and other schema objects. As you advance, you’ll come to understand Data Manipulation Language (DML) and server-side programming capabilities using PL/pgSQL, giving you a robust background to develop, tune, test, and troubleshoot your database application. The book will guide you in exploring NoSQL capabilities and connecting to your database to manipulate data objects. You’ll get to grips with using data warehousing in analytical solutions and reports, and scaling the database for high availability and performance.
- Understand the basics of relational databases, relational algebra, and data modeling
- Install a PostgreSQL server, create a database, and implement your data model
- Create tables and views, define indexes and stored procedures, and implement triggers
- Make use of advanced data types such as Arrays, hstore, and JSONB
- Connect your Python applications to PostgreSQL and work with data efficiently
- Identify bottlenecks to enhance reliability and performance of database applications
By the end of this book, you’ll have gained a thorough understanding of PostgreSQL 11 and developed the necessary skills to build efficient database solutions.