Learning Java by Building Android Games – Third Edition
- Paperback: 686 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (April 9, 2021)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1800565860
- ISBN-13: 978-1800565869
Android is one of the most popular mobile operating systems today. It uses the most popular programming language, Java, as one of the primary languages for building apps of all types. Unlike other Android books, this book doesn’t assume you have any prior knowledge of Java, and instead helps you get started with building Android games as a beginner.
This new, improved, and updated Learning Java by Building Android Games, Third Edition shows you how to start building Android games from scratch. After getting to grips with the fundamentals, the difficulty level increases steadily as you explore key Java topics, such as variables, loops, methods, object-oriented programming (OOP), and design patterns, including up-to-date code along with helpful examples. At each stage, you will put what you’ve learned into practice by developing a game. As you advance, you’ll build games such as Minesweeper-style, Retro Pong, Bullet Hell, Classic Snake and Scrolling Shooter games.
- Set up a game development environment in Android Studio
- Respond to a player’s touch and program intelligent enemies who can challenge the player in different ways
- Explore collision detection, animating sprite sheets, simple tracking and following, AI, parallax backgrounds, and particle explosions
- Animate objects at 60 FPS and manage multiple independent objects using OOP
- Work with design patterns such as OOP and singleton, strategy, and entity-component patterns
- Use the Android API, detecting version number, SoundPool API, Paint, Canvas, and Bitmap classes
By the end of this Learning Java by Building Android Games, 3rd Edition book, you will not only have a solid understanding of Java and Android basics but also developed five cool games for the Android platform.