Learning C++ by Building Games with Unreal Engine 4 – Second Edition
- Paperback: 468 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (December 27, 2018)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1788476247
- ISBN-13: 978-1788476249
Learning C++ by Building Games with Unreal Engine 4, 2nd Edition: Learn the fundamentals of C++ programming with a fun-filled, practical guide and create your own games using Unreal Engine 4
Learning to program in C++ requires some serious motivation. Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) is a powerful C++ engine with a full range of features used to create top-notch, exciting games by AAA studios, making it the fun way to dive into learning C++17.
This book starts by installing a code editor so you can begin to write C++17 code. You will then get acquainted with important C++ aspects, such as variables and memory, if, else, and switch, looping, functions and macros, objects, classes, inheritance, and dynamic memory allocation. As we dig into more advanced C++17 concepts, you will also start to explore the functionality the UE4 engine has to offer. You will use the UE4 editor to create your own world, and then program in some seriously fun gameplay. We delve further to discuss building game features, pathfinding, behavior trees, and more, and introduce you to the basics of machine learning and neural networks. We go on to talk about improving UI feedback with UMG and audio. In this edition of the book, we add the latest VR and AR features along with procedural programming.
- Learn the basics of C++ and also basic UE4 editing
- Learn your way around the UE4 editor and the basics of using C++ and Blueprints within the engine
- Learn how to use basic C++ containers and data structures to store your game data
- Create players, NPCs, and monsters
- Give information to users using the UE4 UMG UI system
- Gain a basic understanding of how to use procedural programming to give your game more replay value
- Learn how UE4 can help you build projects using the hottest new technologies, such as VR and AR
By the end of this Learning C++ by Building Games with Unreal Engine 4, Second Edition book, you should have a good grasp of how to program in C++17.