Introducing Functional Programming Using C#
- Paperback: 324 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (September 24, 2023)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1484296966
- ISBN-13: 978-1484296967
Introducing Functional Programming Using C#: Leveraging a New Perspective for OOP Developers
Understand the power of C#, a multi-paradigm language. This book will help you learn, analyze, and harness the functional aspects of C# so you can create a better program.
The book is divided into two parts. Part I starts with an overview of functional programming (FP). It covers the building blocks for FP: functions and immutability. You will learn about the built-in supports for FP, first- and higher-order functions (HOF), functional purity and side effects, different forms of immutability, and much more. Part II includes discussions on functional composition using pipelining and currying. It also explains how to handle temporal coupling and discusses partial functions and useful functional patterns (such as Map, Bind, Filter, and Fold). Author Vaskaran Sarcar takes you through functional exception-handling mechanisms and provides additional tips to make your programs more efficient.
- Understand how the concepts of functional programming (FP) can be implemented using C#
- Refactor existing code (following the FP paradigm) to make it more readable, maintainable, and predictive
- Know how advanced features (such as delegates, lambdas, generics) can be used differently
- Understand how to efficiently use features such as lambda expressions and type inference as C# includes explicit language extensions to support functional programming
After reading the Introducing Functional Programming Using C# book, you will understand and be able to implement key aspects of FP. You will be able to produce better code (and refactor existing code) by combining the best techniques from both FP and object-oriented programming (OOP) paradigms.