Game Development Patterns with Unreal Engine 5
- Paperback: 254 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (January 5, 2024)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1803243252
- ISBN-13: 978-1803243252
Game Development Patterns with Unreal Engine 5: Build maintainable and scalable systems with C++ and Blueprint and improve your game’s code to make it more readable, reusable, modular, and optimized, guided by design patterns to enhance your overall use of C++ with Unreal Engine 5
Design patterns serve as a toolkit of techniques and practices that enable you to write code that’s not only faster, but also more manageable. With this book, you’ll explore a range of design patterns and learn how to apply them to projects developed in Unreal Engine 5.
You’ll begin by delving into the foundational principles of coding and develop a solid understanding of the concepts, challenges, and benefits of using patterns in your code. As you progress, you’ll identify patterns that are woven into the core of Unreal Engine 5 such as Double Buffer, Flyweight, and Spatial Partitioning, followed by some of the existing tool sets that embody patterns in their design and usage including Component, Behavior Tree, and Update.
In the next section of the book, you’ll start developing a series of gameplay use cases in C++ to implement a variety of design patterns such as Interface and Event-based Observers to build a decoupled communications hierarchy. You’ll also work with Singleton, Command, and State, along with Behavioral Patterns, Template, Subclass Sandbox, and Type Object. The final section focuses on using design patterns for optimization, covering Dirty Flag, Data Locality, and Object Pooling.
- Grasp the essence of design patterns and their inherent utility
- Understand the layers within UE 5 and how they work together
- Identify the relationship between C++ code and Blueprint in Unreal Engine 5
- Recognize the design patterns found within existing Unreal Engine 5 functions
- Explore design patterns to understand their purpose and application within Unreal Engine 5
- Creatively apply design patterns to existing code to overcome common challenges
By the end of this Game Development Patterns with Unreal Engine 5 book, you’ll be proficient in designing systems with the perfect C++/Blueprint blend for maintainable and scalable systems.