Drupal: The Guide to Planning and Building Websites
- Paperback: 504 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook; 1st edition (July 26, 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1118066863
- ISBN-13: 978-1118066867
A complete lifecycle guide to planning and building a site with Drupal
Drupal allows you to quickly and easily build a wide variety of web sites, from very simple blog sites to extremely complex sites that integrate with other systems. In order to maximize what Drupal can do for you, you need to plan. Whether you are building with Drupal 6 or 7, this book details the steps necessary to plan your site so you can make informed decisions before you start to build.
- Explains how to define the scope of your project
- Shows you how to create a design plan taking into consideration how Drupal works
- Helps you make informed decisions regarding development methodologies, environments, standards, and site security
- Reviews ways to assess the use of existing and/or custom Drupal modules
- Teaches you how to avoid common pitfalls that can impact a successful site launch
- Walks you through preparing for post-launch site maintenance and management tasks
- Details incorporating the nature of open source systems into your management strategies
- Identifies ways to interact with members of the Drupal community
The processes and techniques provided in this book will empower you to create a successful and sustainable site with Drupal.
From the Back Cover
Plan and execute each phase of your Drupal website
Drupal enables you to build a wide variety of websites quickly and easily, from simple blog sites to complex sites that integrate with other systems. In order to maximize what Drupal can do for your website, you need to plan. With this comprehensive book, Drupal expert Cindy McCourt walks you through planning your Drupal site, using optimal methods for leveraging the power and flexibility of the Drupal framework. Regardless of your level of experience working with Drupal, this guide provides you with a series of analyses and tasks from a Drupal perspective that allows you to start thinking in Drupal and helps you plan each phase of your site’s lifecycle.
Drupal: The Guide to Planning and Building Websites:
- Presents an overview of a site’s lifecycle and details where planning fits in
- Provides insights into various development methodologies and management practices that are frequently used on a Drupal project
- Helps you identify and analyze what your site needs in order to achieve its objectives
- Shows you how to translate your requirements into a visual representation of your site
- Covers many of the non-development tasks that need to beconsidered for a successful site launch
- Explores developing your Drupal site and shares tips for maintaining and supporting it
WOW! eBook guides are crafted to make learning programming languages and technologies easier than you think. Written by programmers for programmers, they provide a structured, tutorial format that will guide you through all the techniques involved.
wrox.com Programmer Forums
Join our Programmer to Programmer forums to ask and answer programming questions about this book, join discussions on the hottest topics in the industry, and connect with fellow programmers from around the world.
Take advantage of free code samples from this book, as well as code samples from hundreds of other books, all ready to use.
Find articles, ebooks, sample chapters and tables of contents for hundreds of books, and more reference resources on programming topics that matter to you.
Foreword by Dries Buytaert, Founder and Project Lead, Drupal; Chief Technology Officer, Acquia
About the Author
Cindy McCourt is a freelance Drupal planner and builder, instructor, project manager, and facilitator. She has written technical papers and instructions on many topics for governmental and private sector clients. She maintains a close relationship with the Drupal community through her blog, at http://idcminnovations.com, by speaking at Drupal events, and by offering Drupal training. She is also a partner at Acquia, the company owned by Drupal creator Dries Buytaert.
[download id=”282″ format=”1″]