Drupal 7 Fields/CCK Beginner’s Guide
- Paperback: 288 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (July 13, 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 184951478X
- ISBN-13: 978-1849514781
Explore Drupal 7 fields/CCK and master their use
- Step-by-step guide to building your own Drupal 7 website using the Drupal 7 fields system
- Specifically written for Drupal 7 development and site building
- In-depth coverage of theming fields in Drupal 7
- Discover the new fields system from the database perspective
- Packed with hands-on-examples, quizzes, and clear explanations along with plenty of screenshots for better understanding
The Field module is a new core module in Drupal 7, and is the next generation of the legendary Drupal 6 CCK (Content Construction Kit) module. The CCK was a developer’s best friend, used on any Drupal project of any size. Now, the Field module builds on the strength of the CCK module, bringing new features to Drupal 7.
The Field module allows custom data fields to be attached to Drupal entities (content nodes, users, taxonomy vocabularies, and so on) and takes care of storing, loading, editing, and rendering field data.
In Drupal 7, you can create content types and you can add fields to any content type. You can rearrange the order in which fields are displayed and you can specify the label position and format of the field. Unlike in earlier versions, you do not need to download a separate module to add fields to a content type.
Wouldn’t you like to know more about how to use this important and interesting feature?
Drupal 7 Fields/CCK Beginner’s Guide helps you to get started quickly and to get beyond the basics to take full advantage of the fields system. It covers the key features of Drupal 7 fields that will help you get your Drupal 7 website up and running with a step-by-step approach to building a Drupal 7 website with the new fields system.
Drupal 7 Fields/CCK Beginner’s Guide will show you how to create custom content types and fields, add fields to comments and vocabularies, reuse the existing fields, create Boolean and list fields, set default values to fields, add term references to content types, add file fields and image fields, create custom image styles, format fields’ display for different view modes, use contributed modules to enhance the fields system, configure field-level permissions using the field-level permission module, and also to theme fields using the new Drupal 7 theme system. You will also learn the ins and outs of the fields system from the database perspective.
This hands-on guide will teach you to build Drupal websites that get the most out of the Drupal 7 Field module’s powerful features.
A step-by-step comprehensive guide to learning Drupal 7 fields from scratch while building a Drupal 7 website.
What you will learn from this book :
- Customize web content by creating custom content types and fields through the Field’s user interface
- Enrich website functionality by adding fields to content types, comments, and vocabularies
- Explore the interaction between multiple-value fields and multiple-value widgets
- Create multiple value fields with Boolean and list field types
- Categorize web content with term-reference fields for your website
- Add file attachment ability to your Drupal site with file fields
- Adjust and configure image effects with image styles for your website
- Display and configure images with image fields
- Manage field display on teaser, full-content, and RSS views for your website
- Add and work with contributed modules to enhance field functionality
- Theme and lay out fields using CSS and the Drupal 7 theme system on your website
- Discover fields behind-the-scenes from the database perspective
This book is a beginner’s guide, which has a comprehensive and step-by-step approach to building Drupal websites with fields. The book has examples, quizzes, and challenges for self-assessment and plenty of screenshots for easier and quicker understanding.
Who this book is written for
This book is designed primarily for people who know some basics of Drupal and want to familiarize themselves with CCK/Field. However, technical users will also find the book useful, as we will explore a wide variety of techniques that are used to build websites with fields.
[download id=”248″ format=”1″]