Building Browser Extensions
- Paperback: 570 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (November 23, 2022)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 148428724X
- ISBN-13: 978-1484287248
Building Browser Extensions: Create Modern Extensions for Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Edge
Web developers today have plenty of experience with building regular web page apps, but a lot of that knowledge doesn’t transfer over when it comes to creating browser extensions. This Building Browser Extensions book provides a complete reference for how to build modern browser extensions.
Creating and deploying a browser extension is more like building a mobile app than a website. When you start building an extension you’ll often find there are a large number of new concepts and idiosyncrasies to wrangle with. This book reveals how to successfully navigate around these obstacles and how to take advantage of the limited resources available.
- Understand the best ways to build and deploy a modern browser extension
- Learn wow to build a browser extension using modern web development tools
- Fast-track your understanding of browser extensions
- Build browser extensions using modern tooling and frameworks like Webpack and React
- Understand the implications of the transition from manifest v2 to v3
- Complete reference of browser extension APIs and features
- Learn to build cross-browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge
You’ll see how a browser extensions work, their component pieces, and how to build and deploy them. Additionally, you’ll review all the tricky bits of extension development that most developers have to learn through trial and error. The current transition from manifest v2 to v3 is of special interest, and an entire chapter will be dedicated to this subject. By the end of this book, you will have a rich understanding of what browser extensions are, how they work, all the pitfalls to avoid, and the most efficient ways of building them.